The Code Enforcement Officer is responsible for enforcing city ordinances in an effort to promote and protect the public health, safety, and welfare of those individuals living, working, and doing business in the City of Perryville. Effective code enforcement promotes stable neighborhoods and property values while enhancing community pride.
Code Enforcement Areas of Focus
- High grass
- Debris around a structure
- Structures left in a state of disrepair
- Work being done without a permit
- Unlicensed contracting
- Pool / Hot Tub / Spa Structures
Code Enforcement Process
Code Enforcement begins when the Code Enforcement Officer observes a violation or a complaint is called into the Department by a citizen. Complaints may remain anonymous or they may leave a name and number so they can be contacted in the future.
Report a concern online or call (573) 547-2594.
General Outline of Case Progression
Case progression can vary depending upon the nature of the violation or a number of variables:
- A complaint is received by the department
- An inspection is performed to verify that a violation exists on the property
- The property owner is then notified that a violation(s) exists and is given a reasonable period of time in which to correct the violation(s)
- A follow-up inspection is performed to verify that the violation(s) has been corrected
- If compliance cannot be achieved through normal channels, the resident is issued a summons to appear in municipal court
- After hearing testimony from the property owner and Code Enforcement, the Judge rules on the case and determines whether or not there was a violation(s) of the City’s Code of Ordinances
- If the Judge determines that a violation does exist on the property, an order is issued that the property come into compliance within a specified period of time and a fine will be issued. Municipal fines can range anywhere from $5 to $500, for each day of the offense.
View Code Enforcement Policy and Procedures Guide
View Code Enforcement Fine Schedule
View Waste Haulers Permit Application